Forum is difficult to navigate

• It might just be me, but I find the forums very difficult to navigate. I have to click 10 buttons to find what I want to find and half the time, I don't know where to post. Do I post in general discussion where it will get the most traction, in rainbow six: siege in games, or in the members area? I think that we should streamline the forum and also make it visibly simpler. However, that's just my two cents. Let me know what you guys think!

• Generals

Next time I am on let's talk about this..

• Streamers

Engage that conversation maybe with a proposed rough layout to better illustrate your thoughts on that. Like a basic tree type chart

Go away Biniak
    www.twitch.tv/h0en
    "tongue clicks of approval" -TheLumberjack // "Ooo look at me. I'm Hoen and I have 'Objective Evidence'" -TheLumberjack

• I admit the fact that we have 2 general discussion threads in the forums (One in member area and one under threads) That can get confusing at times. We just need to consolidate certain threads together and I think everything will work better.

@Hoen that's the strangest misspelling of "drunk" I've ever seen. - Lumberjack

• Generals

@sisno100 said:

I admit the fact that we have 2 general discussion threads in the forums (One in member area and one under threads) That can get confusing at times. We just need to consolidate certain threads together and I think everything will work better.

The main intent of the 'general discussion' outside of the members, is that non-members are able to see that forum. So a regular-joe who signs up and just wants to start a discussion, challenge us to a scrimmage, ask a question, can do so there.

The general discussion under the 'members' area are for topics for "members eyes only". If your topic doesn't apply to that, it can be in the general section. For example, non-members do NOT need to see the Member FAQ post.

• Generals

we took care of the 2 general discussions topics.. only one named General discussions since last night.

• Generals

There is a fine balance between a too flat and too deep structure. All while maintaining organization, and privacy. Like Hookey said we have done multiple consolations and if need be we will do more. The tagging system works well if used correctly but you cannot rely on that mostof the time. If need be we can explicitly name the general discussion to ' public discussions' or something along those lines.

• @nuchin @MAV @FellLucifer @hookey6 @Hoen @sisno100

I do find the forum incredibly lacking and confusing compared to most forums I use or used in the past. What forum software is the site running on? It kind of reminds me of Xenforo in some ways with tagging, alerts and such but its so different from what I've used previously I can't be sure.

Do you have a test site or test bed to try out new features or anything?

The category link at the top left is kind of the "home page" of the forums if you will. I've never seen a forum use anything other than a folder or tree then subfolder structure below each main area. Instead we take the approach to just have huge tiles? What if someone wants to see what the substructure looks like? Its not clear from you "home page" of the forums, which I just can't get behind.
    [img]V2x7rJy.png

When writing up a post, I like the "pop up area" that allows you to create your post and shows you a preview, but half the buttons at the top aren't even operational.
    [image]XLzO6U2.png

When I click bold, italics, what appears to be the categories button (which I dont know what that would even do) and the link button, I just get "undefined" added to the compose area. Emoji's, Upload & Polls seem to work though.

I could go on but I figure, this is a good start. I only tagged the folks that were in this discussion originally - sorry to necro post but I think the forums are entirely too confusing and the reason I haven't participated in them much since joining LNT. Also, have you considered a chatbox?

• @mkeller25 said:

@mkeller25

testing quoting functionality

And another thing - why aren't [img] or [image] tags working? I can't post any images in-line without uploading a photo? Thats terrible. Maybe its because the "link" functionality is broken currently?

• @mkeller25 said:

@mkeller25 said:

@mkeller25

testing quoting functionality

And another thing - why aren't [img] or [image] tags working? I can't post any images in-line without uploading a photo? Thats terrible. Maybe its because the "link" functionality is broken currently?

Testing picture upload

![0_1463402111102_Capture.PNG](Uploading 100%)

• Streamers

I don't have issues posting images. I don't upload them either.

You have to precede the [image] tag with an exclamation mark.

Syntax:

![image] (URL)

Without a space between the image tag and url parenthesis

Go away Biniak
    www.twitch.tv/h0en
    "tongue clicks of approval" -TheLumberjack // "Ooo look at me. I'm Hoen and I have 'Objective Evidence'" -TheLumberjack

• @Hoen said:

I don't have issues posting images. I don't upload them either.

You have to precede the [image] tag with an exclamation mark.

Syntax:

![image] (URL)

Without a space between the image tag and url parenthesis

Excellent. Is that posted somewhere? Is that functionality built into the reply system/popup?

• Streamers

Yeah, seems to be stickied in the site issues forum:

http://lntgamers.com/topic/19/markdown-syntax-adding-signature-images/2

Go away Biniak
    www.twitch.tv/h0en

• @hoen posting images of our baby together... so rude

• @mkeller25 Truth of the matter is, no one really has extensive experience with website design except nuchin so our hands are tied here. If we can somehow contribute in redesigning the website, the complaints would be helpful, but its hard to put all this on one man. Would be nice to have a UX designer with us haha

As a side note, several people on my ark server have been complaining about forum navigation. I personally think going for too much of a clean look is hampering newcomers to the site.

• Senior Server Admin

ok, so i can speak to this as I was one of the 3 that was involved in the design and forum engine decisions early on.

1. We chose this forum because it is different. Sure tree forums are everywhere and pretty much a standard...perhaps even a staple in the gaming, support, or even blogging community...we wanted to stand out and be a little different...

2. I don't think the learning curve to too terrible..if you click on categories its basically a 'staple' forum tree just presented a little differently.

3. The site framework we're using is called NodeBB. We also evaluated Simple Machines and building from scratch using WordPress, we liked this the best

4. Yes, we have a dev site which we push OS patches, code updates, and test features on prior to pushing to prod.

5. There is a chat function in the forums, click on anyone's name and a drop down will day 'chat' or 'profile', just click chat.... also if you have a message it'll pop up in the top right bubble.

5b. If you meant a chatbox like a 'comments board' or something of the sort, from my experience with many communities they seldom are used ...

There are many features and great things we can do, and we always welcome feedback, suggestions and feature requests... feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or ideas...thanks.

• Senior Server Admin

@FellLucifer

What are their complaints? This is the first I'm hearing about this, I'm nowhere as savvy as nuchibuchi but I can dabble at figuring things out...there may be a simple solution to make their lives easier...

• Maybe I'm just easy to please but I haven't found anything in the forums to be overly difficult or painstakingly hard to navigate

• @MAV

They say they can't find where to find the Ark server info easily. I have to guide them through every step by alt+tabbing, showing them where the categories button is, then to go to games, and then to Ark.

• Generals

.... games...... ark.....

I could do that without getting out of game.

I do wish a new update would come up that showed sub categorys early on. But Nodebb is new.

If the person is confused with the sight they just might need to take a little time to self navigate.

Also simple machines is just that simple. We wished to try something new to challenge ourselves.

Also I was the 3rd to work on the Website.

• -LnT-

pxvAh9E.png

Thats the kind of forums Im accustomed to. Not saying LETS CHANGE IT ALL, simply an example to show what maybe Fell is looking for as far as less confusing navigations